Wednesday, December 3, 2008

An Old Gypsy Saying

"When I die, bury me standing, for I have spent all my life on my knees!"

I read this line a few weeks back in a book (The Witch Of Portobello- Paulo Coelho) and since haven't been able to get it out of my head. In some weird universal way, we are all victims of oppression; whether we suffer persecution at the hands of others due to intolerance, or are slaves of our own demons. Very few of us actually live our lives with our heads high.

Here's to everyone in suffering right now. May we find the strength within ourselves to make it through this life not on our knees, but on our feet. May we find the strength to overcome despair and light the flame of hope, especially with the constantly, and rapidly, detereorating state of the world around us today.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like how your tags are called 'persecution' and 'oppression'. Honestly!

That aside, I think it's very true how not a lot of us can hold our heads up in pride. That's not really gonna change in the future is it? We'll always be told me someone (boss, friends, enemies, the media etc) how what we have and what we do isn't sufficient and that we should be ashamed of that.

K said...

It's 'persecution' and 'suffering' :P

Anonymous said...

oh dont be nitpicky!