Sunday, November 30, 2008

Moonlight And Shadows

While making this blog, I had a particularly hard time trying to think of a good enough title for it. Everything I came up with seemed to be already taken, whether it was phrases from my previously written poems or unusual pseudonyms I came up with for myself. After a moment of epiphany, I thought of the first thing I wrote since taking up writing again, and that became my blog title. Here it is in its entirety.

Moonlight and Shadows

It was midnight.
Beyond the broken door,
The room lay bare,
Completely filled with emptiness.
The wooden floor was covered
With a carpet of dust;
The walls bore no photographs
As evidence of the passage of time,
But intricately woven spiderwebs -
Delicate, sparkling, silent.

Moonlight streamed into the room
Through the shattered window;
But the room was already alight
By the flame of a single candle
Inexplicably placed in its surroundings,
Casting long shadows on the wall,
That swayed to a sombre rhythm
As the flame flickered in the wind
That came in through the window.

Nothing else moved.
Nothing made a sound.
Stillness and silence -
And a sudden darkness!
As the flame went out,
Leaving behind only
Moonlight and shadows.

No comments: